Corporate Flight Attendant Community  

Go Back   Corporate Flight Attendant Community > The Corporate Flight Attendant Community > General Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Site Navigation: Flight Attendant * Forums * About * Articles * Blog * Caterers * Food & Wine * Links * Privacy Policy * Terms * Training * Aircraft Charter

Welcome to the Corporate Flight Attendant Community forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Old 05-07-2007, 09:28 AM
Banned

Default Pilotless Passenger Airliner?

Greetings. I would like to ask a question of this group as you may possess the expertise to give the best answer. The question is for cabin crew of a passenger airliner but there may be in the scenario that I will present that some here, who have not been cabin crew, may still be able to provide an answer.

I am in not in any way involved in the commercial airline industry, and am only here because I am seeking an answer to my question.

The question is related to the events of 9/11, but the way I wish to pose it does not concern those events specifically, but came out of a discussion of someone's hypothesis of what had happened with AA77, the Pentagon plane.

A little background here - there are some in this country who believe that the events of that day were contrived out of a USA government-led conspiracy. Personnally, I do not believe that, and this question is not to provoke or spark a discussion of which side to blame.

The side that believes it was a USA government-led conspiracy have varying viewpoints among themselves. There is one belief that no plane ever hit the Pentagon at all, that it was a missile strike, and another belief holds that AA77 did crash into the Pentagon resulting in the loss of life of everyone on board, but that it was a pilotless drone.

This is where I wish to focus my question. In your experiences as cabin crew or otherwise, and in the security level of 2001, do any of you feel it is possible, even remotely possible, that even if such an airliner could have been rigged to fly pilotlessly, could it have become airborne without the knowledge of the other crew onboard?

That hypothesis implies that the government willingly sent the paying passengers to their deaths, but I cannot see how it accounts for the cabin crew.

1. No one is going to volunteer to die in a plane crash.

2. As a paying passenger, I would not know whether the cockpit was manned or not, but I would not be content to board and sit on a plane that had no visible cabin crew.

Surely within the normal procedure there must be some direct communication between the cockpit and the cabin crew at least to just make sure "everyone's on board and the door is closed" prior to actually taking off.

Of course there are many other factors that will pop into your mind about the scenario I have presented, such as the ATC's, and other airline personnel that assist in boarding, but ignore that for the moment - assume they have been "paid off" by the government to look the other way.

The question again is, also assuming that no cabin crew voluntarily went to their deaths that day, could an entire cabin crew have been duped like the paying passengers into flying off in a pilotless plane?
Old 05-07-2007, 11:20 AM

Hi,

I flew for three commercial airlines over a 17 year time. I have to say that the answer is NO. It was our policy on all three airlines, that after the door was closed and cabin checks done the lead flight attendant would go to the cockpit and tell them face to face that cabin is secure at that point the cockpit door would be closed. Hope this helps.
Old 05-07-2007, 11:24 AM

ok colonel,

I will only tell you what I think of those "conspiracy theory" people.

I think they are idiots!!!!!!

I'm sorry, but I was a commercial FA working that day, and the TERRORIST ATTACK , not our government, is something I will never forget.

Maybe you would like to post your question to pilots.

www.airlinepilotforums.com

ladi
Old 05-07-2007, 11:40 AM

Default Clarification

Just so everyone knows this, Colonel contacted me prior to posting his question. I knew that it was provocative, but I also knew that he people would shed some light on the subject. I also referred Colonel to www.flightattendants.org to find a wider pool of cabin crewmembers.

I, too, have been bothered by the conspiracy theories. I am not saying that Colonel is seeking to validate them, but it can be helpful to refute what we all know to be true -- that no airline was operated as a pilotless drone.

On the other hand I am amazed that some will dismiss the obvious to support the ludicrous. There is plenty of contact between flight deck and cabin crew before, during, and after the flight -- a pilotless Boeing aircraft (if it could fly) is a stretch!
[b][url=http://www.corporateflyer.net/blog]Corporate Flight Attendants[/url]|[url=http://www.creditcardvenue.com]Credit[/url]|[url=http://www.thearticlewriter.com/blog]Articles[/url]|[url=http://www.jetemployment.com]JetEmployment[/url][/b]
Old 05-07-2007, 11:56 AM
Banned

Quote:
Hi,

I flew for three commercial airlines over a 17 year time. I have to say that the answer is NO. It was our policy on all three airlines, that after the door was closed and cabin checks done the lead flight attendant would go to the cockpit and tell them face to face that cabin is secure at that point the cockpit door would be closed. Hope this helps.

Yes, it helps. I could not imagine it to be otherwise myself.
Old 05-07-2007, 12:06 PM
Banned

Quote:
ok colonel,

I will only tell you what I think of those "conspiracy theory" people.

I think they are idiots!!!!!!

I'm sorry, but I was a commercial FA working that day, and the TERRORIST ATTACK , not our government, is something I will never forget.

Maybe you would like to post your question to pilots.

www.airlinepilotforums.com

ladi

I think we agree. One thing I am trying to do here is to seek out the professionals who do know the protocol. A lot of the 9/11 "Truth" people make or believe certain scenarios without taking it logically to the next step, and they fail to do precisely what it is that I am trying to do. It's fruitless to debate with some of them, but I like to respond to some of the wilder beliefs with something more for them to think about. As far as contacting pilots, I also plan to do that at this point, but I believe I will get enough of what I am seeking here.
Old 05-07-2007, 12:19 PM
Banned

Default Re: Clarification

Thanks, Matt. I am only seeking to validate the real truth. The "Truth" people think that the truth is a government conspiracy. What I believe is the truth is that at the very least, 19 guys of Mideast origin conspired to hijack 4 airliners that day and crashed all 4.

I have touched on this subject lightly since then, more so in the past 6 months, but even more in the past month when I discovered through a casual conversation with my 30 year old son in his driveway that he believes a lot of this stuff including faked moon landings! I am trying to get him to investigate his beliefs more deeply. Then he can choose how he wishes to believe.
Old 05-07-2007, 12:19 PM

My apologies for being so blunt. It does bother me greatly that people get out there w/ such ridiculous ideas and try to convince others how true their "theories" are.

As I said earlier, I was a commercial F/A working that day when it happened. Like katflys said, it would be impossible for an aircraft to fly pilotless without anyone knowing it.

I believe it would be impossible for it to even leave the gate.