Corporate Flight Attendant Community  

Go Back   Corporate Flight Attendant Community > The Corporate Flight Attendant Community > General Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Site Navigation: Flight Attendant * Forums * About * Articles * Blog * Caterers * Food & Wine * Links * Privacy Policy * Terms * Training * Aircraft Charter

Welcome to the Corporate Flight Attendant Community forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Old 05-27-2007, 08:55 AM

Default AIR CHEF WARNING

Hello All,

This should probably go under catering but I wanted everyone to read it first since we only read catering when we are looking for a caterer. The other day I ordered catering through airchef (It was a last resort) out of vegas. I ordered southern style fried chicken with made from scratch buttermilk biscuits. I told them how I wanted it made and was told no problem. Once we got to Vegas and I recieved my catering It was all packaged in the local caterers packaging very nicely along with a premium price. Now Im no idiot...ok well maybe sometimes but I KNEW it was fast food chicken and fast food biscuits. I even know which chain it came from. They first tried to deny it but then went from saying no to well maybe its possible. For a company to try to pass FAST FOOD for gourmet and then charge me almost $100 for something that cost $8.00 is ridiculous. I was MAD MAD MAD. So just a warning even as a last resort I would beware. I am NOT happy wth air chef. Anyone else have similar experience with them? Im still mad! Safe travels to all!
Old 05-27-2007, 09:39 AM

Default painful catering

OH Drew, I feel your pain.

I also have had problems with Air Chef. For years, I stopped using them. Then people told me they got better. Against my better judgement, I used them out of DC in April. I even got to talk to the chef and told him excatly how to make this dish. Why of course, it didn't turn out the way I told him. The ginger was so overpowering and it looked all wrong. Yes, the price was out of this world. I am one who goes shopping and I love to cook. I know it is a control issue. Then I know what I am getting and there is no surprises. But in your case, I can see why you can't do those biscuts. They sound great, I may make some for me at home today. Also in LV, who has time to shop, got to make time to PLAY! Just kidding.

Next time Air Gourment out of there.

I like the way you care about your catering. You show lots of care with your work. Can't wait to meet you someday.
Kat
Old 05-27-2007, 10:14 AM

Default Hello

Hey Galley,

I do try to care...at times its hard but I try. Yea Vegas was just a day trip so no time for shopping and made from scratch buttermilk biscuits that just melt in your mouth are sooo good well buttermilk fried chicken is good to...who am I kidding anything fried is good! I do make a mean fried chicken. Next time Im in LA weve got to have lunch. Everyone I want to meet I always pass in the air but never seem to be on the ground at the same time. Soon though.
Old 05-27-2007, 12:08 PM

I have not used Air Chef for over 2 years. They got too big, too fast. I used to use them out of IAD, but after too many mistakes, excuses, and not giving a $#@!.
I still cringe and hang up when I call a caterer that used to be independant and I hear "Air Chef".
Being a Contract FA, I cannot afford to have sloppy catering. It comes down to us. Clients dont want to hear "The Caterer screwed up".
I try do do much of my own catering as possible. It is alot more work, but it is better, cheaper, and I know it is made properly.
Sometimes I have to rely on catering, but it will not be Air Chef.
Old 05-27-2007, 01:54 PM

I too had too many problems with Airchef and refuse to use them ever again. They also seem to have a huge problem with the accounting dept's addition. Almost every invoice I have received from that company has been incorrect - from a few of their locations, not just one. I agree that it is a better option to go to the grocery store, specialty shops or a restaurant when time allows. Unfortunetly, that is not always the case.

Falcon FA
Old 05-27-2007, 04:00 PM

That sucks Drew! I think ordering catering is the worst part of our job. I always have anxiety until I see the final product, I've just had too many bad experiences, AirChef among them. We ordered hamburgers from them one time, and after describing exactly what I wanted, in great detail, I still ended up with what looked like school cafeteria food.
Old 05-28-2007, 04:42 PM

Default Catering

Personally
I think the entire business is getting out of hand! [-(
There are a select few caterer's out there that are special and care about the product. example Tastefully Yours ATL
And then there are the ones who charge you (Example)$10.00 for a bag of chips.
$27.00 for a case of Fiji!!! And then the FBO tacks on a 30% handling fee!! :angry:
Then the client is like well we need to save $$ soo we'll take a hawker or they insist on not having a F.A.onboard!! Ya know who looses ...YES the F/A!! ME.. YOU... :angry:

It is hard to get all the simple little things you sometimes need doing a road show!
When you have maybe 3 or 4 hrs til your next leg.
and you have the no clue how to get to the local mkt. the FBO has lent all the pilots the crew cars and there you are stuck!! Forced into having to pay outrageous prices for simple 3 or 4 dollar items!
I have to admit, NOW I drag a 2nd suitcase with all the items I might need as a contractor .. Oh can I tell you how happy that makes the pilots??
I am thinking I would like to turn in my contract shoes for a full-time position. SO if you hear of anything... let me know...
AND if anyone can figure out a way to stop all these extra fees and lousey caterers PLEASE let me know that too.
Old 06-04-2007, 12:07 PM

Default Air Chef

Oy Vey, Air Chef, Honestly, I cannot believe they're still in business. I never used them again after a "double billing" fiasco. I was just in Vegas last week and I usually use and like the over priced Air
Gourmet. This time the Endive Boats I ordered for my welcome table were missing the candied pecans and apricot glaze, I called them and they immediately brought a complete fresh order and removed the incomplete order from my bill.....now that's good business! There's nothing worse than when you call the catering company and they have a song and dance for their mistake. Air Gourmet secured my continued business by doing the right thing. Fly Safe