Corporate Flight Attendant Community  

Go Back   Corporate Flight Attendant Community > The Corporate Flight Attendant Community > General Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Site Navigation: Flight Attendant * Forums * About * Articles * Blog * Caterers * Food & Wine * Links * Privacy Policy * Terms * Training * Aircraft Charter

Welcome to the Corporate Flight Attendant Community forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Old 02-15-2007, 12:07 AM

Default Second language anyone??

I took two years of Spanish in high school, BUT ... yo hablo MUY poquito espanol. See, I told you!

I've been thinking about learning a second language. Questions;

Will doing so really enhance my career? If so, which foreign language would be most beneficial?

Thanks for any feedback.

CC
Old 02-15-2007, 07:57 AM

Default foreign language

I speak german not fluently but well enough to converse.

I have yet to have someone call me and use me because I can.

C U in the Sky
Old 02-15-2007, 09:09 AM

Default Languages

What a great question!

I speak Japanese, but like CU, have yet to fly there as a corporate FA. It appears not to be well utilized unless you are flying for a company that would need your language and cultural expertise for clients that they regularly fly (i. e., if you worked for a French firm's flight department or one of the Japanese car companies or IKEA's nat'l. office and utilized Swedish).

If you are looking to learn a new language but do not have time to take a class at a university/college, check out the BBC online courses. They are free (last time I researched)! I carry the interactive CDs to study Spanish on my layovers. I am hoping that it will make it much easier to get around Mexican cities the next time I go!

Also, consider subscribing to foreign language magazines. I love Latina because they write fun articles in English and Spanish about the US and foreign Latin culture making it a great cultural resource as well. Plus the editor is very savvy!
Old 02-15-2007, 09:22 AM

Default Hablo un poco español

I asked my mentor the same question when I first started in business aviation. Her answer was, "English is the language of business, but having conversational language skills can be helpful especially when conversing with local caterers and handlers."

A concierge can usually resolve most problems for you, but you cannot take your concierge with you when you shop locally. My Spanish stinks too and I want to brush up on the little that I know. Berlitz anyone?
Old 02-15-2007, 05:45 PM

I speak Greek, but that's only because of my heritage, my grandmother especially, it has didn't help me get a job though. There have been a few times when I worked for a 135 company that I wished I spoke French or Spanish, but that's very rare.
Old 02-16-2007, 06:05 PM

Default Languages

I speak Arabic and two other languages...I get a call every now and then for Arabic. But I generally don't want to take anyone to Baghdad so I turn down the trips!
Old 02-17-2007, 02:43 PM

I think it looks great on a resume! I speak a little French, I've only used it to order food & help, when I am lost. I would like to learn Spanish, I think I would use it more than French.
Old 02-19-2007, 02:41 AM

Default spanish

Have not used my Spanish on the aircraft at all.

I have used it on layovers to order food. And just to talk to people so I don't feel so lonely on a layover.

I was just in Spain and I loved that I could use some of my Spanish. Of course, it is isn't the best. But I impressed my pilots.

Years ago, I had fallen in love in Mallocara and went back there to live a few years. Living there really improved my Spanish. But not speaking it every day, I have lost lots of it.

I think learning Chinese would be so cool. They have 9 different sounds for one word. AMAZING!

My best friend, speaks 9 different langauges. She is really outgoing, so when I am with her, I let her do all the talking. I really should try harder and all it takes is PRATICE!! And USE! Cloud Chaser, use your Spanish, and being down in SD, you have ample places to pratice. You wil improve in months after using your langauge skills every day.