Corporate Flight Attendant Community  

Go Back   Corporate Flight Attendant Community > The Corporate Flight Attendant Community > General Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Site Navigation: Flight Attendant * Forums * About * Articles * Blog * Caterers * Food & Wine * Links * Privacy Policy * Terms * Training * Aircraft Charter

Welcome to the Corporate Flight Attendant Community forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Old 03-03-2007, 02:51 PM
Banned

Default Smoking/non-smoking aircraft

I recently visited the website of a certain biz jet charter company and I noticed a notation for some the individual aircraft that said either that they were 'non-smoking' or 'smoking permitted.'

How commonly is smoking permitted aboard business aircraft (either corporate-owned or chartered)? What''s been your experience?
Old 03-03-2007, 05:43 PM

The aircraft I work on right now is non-smoking. When I worked for a charter company all of our aircraft were non-smoking, even with the owners on board, it was part of the management contract. I can imagine it would be difficult to get the smoke smell out of such a confined space.

Noah
Old 03-07-2007, 12:40 AM

Default 135

For Part 135, anything goes. Sometimes, the ONLY reason people charter is for the "privilege" of smoking (folks, it's LEGAL in real life!!!)

I have seen a Part 91 airplane that does a fair amount of charter and then have a "smoking cleaning" fee of $250. That's fair, considering that's what a Marriott would cahrge for a substantially less expensive room to clean.

If you land, after a smoking flight (and a generous out flow vent), you can leave the stairs and the baggage open for a short amount of time and "air it out." I know because I flew a "smoking" flight, followed by a non-smoking flight.

Smoking is legal...what is the big deal? I realize it's an enclosed space, but I think it is more of a mind control issue. If you go to a Hilton and all they have is a "smoking room" available, pilots swear the room reaks of smoke.....I have SEEN pax on a flight after someone was smoking in the lav and since they have no idea, no one ever complains.
Old 03-07-2007, 08:25 AM

Send a message via AIM to flyingjen

Our principal smokes cigars on occasion on the plane - you would never know it! And I am a former smoker and hate the smell.
Old 03-07-2007, 05:26 PM

It depends on who owns the aircraft. Some are explicitly nonsmoking while others are okay with it. RJR allows smoking!
Old 03-07-2007, 06:50 PM

Default Re: Smoking/non-smoking aircraft

Quote:
I recently visited the website of a certain biz jet charter company and I noticed a notation for some the individual aircraft that said either that they were 'non-smoking' or 'smoking permitted.'

How commonly is smoking permitted aboard business aircraft (either corporate-owned or chartered)? What''s been your experience?
I'm not certain how common it is but smoking is only permitted on privately registered aircraft in Canada. This limitation is due to the occupational health and safety hazard to employees.

Non-smokers Health Regulations - Aircraft

As an aside, if you're not from Canada, you may not have heard of Heather Crowe. Here is her story and the effects on employees:

The Heather Crowe Campaign
Health Canada Profile: Heather Crowe
Old 03-08-2007, 11:27 AM
Banned

Thanks for all of those responses.

Re CD's last bit of info, let's not forget that in the US, commercial flight attendants played a major role in getting smoking completely banned on airliners -- for health reasons -- so that the FAs (and the pax) did not have to be exposed to secondhand smoke.

Of course, then, we also have this:

Smoke and enjoy the flight -- International Herald Tribune
Old 03-08-2007, 02:18 PM

There is smoking allowed on our aircraft, and you would never know it once it has been aired out for a few hours. Boiling a kettle with peppermint oil in it and water also helps