Corporate Flight Attendant Community  

Go Back   Corporate Flight Attendant Community > The Corporate Flight Attendant Community > General Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Site Navigation: Flight Attendant * Forums * About * Articles * Blog * Caterers * Food & Wine * Links * Privacy Policy * Terms * Training * Aircraft Charter

Welcome to the Corporate Flight Attendant Community forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Old 03-04-2007, 11:19 PM

Default venting about pilots

This is a vent post, so beware. I allready called GVgirl and vented.

I was on a trip to a rural part of Mexico for 4 days with this one Captain. I am a contract person at this company that uses me alot.

During the course of the trip he told me over and over that FA's should be under 35 and be under a size 4. He told me that no one wanted to see my fat ass. I use to be a size 4, 2 years ago, but sorry, now I am a size 6 sometimes 8.

He told me I only had a job because I was so damn good, but when they hire someone younger, I will be gone.
He also told me that I am too happy all time and that is not normal. He said that we were in a shit hole and why would anyone like that?

I was actually happy that they had wireless in the rooms and a treadmill upstairs. I guess it takes very little to make me happy.
Of course, I couldn't make him happy with the service on the way home. The 14 passengers loved everything that I did.
Why do pilots complain alot? They chose this job. I chose my job and I LOVE it and will go above an beyond for it. I am good at it and it shows. Why would I complain?
Old 03-05-2007, 06:57 AM

Default Captain Jerk

Kathryn -- We know what he is saying is stupid, so don't take any of it to heart. He sounds like a pompous pilot, too full of himself for his or anyone else's own good.

Feel free to vent, but don't let this guy dictate how you should act or look. Too many flight attendants think they have to conform to someone else's image and you don't need that.

You'll be done with Pilot Jerk in a few days and working on other accounts where everyone appreciates you for who you are and what you provide for them. Remember: he recognizes that you are very good at what you do.
[b][url=http://www.corporateflyer.net/blog]Corporate Flight Attendants[/url]|[url=http://www.creditcardvenue.com]Credit[/url]|[url=http://www.thearticlewriter.com/blog]Articles[/url]|[url=http://www.jetemployment.com]JetEmployment[/url][/b]
Old 03-05-2007, 11:52 AM

What an ASS!!

I too am happy with wireless internet and a treadmill! Add good room service, air conditioning and english speaking TV... I am all set!

Keep your positive attitude! Next time you fly with the "Dingle-Dorf" remember .... we can't stand him either!
Old 03-05-2007, 12:06 PM

Default What a colossal nerve!

Quote:
He also told me that I am too happy all time and that is not normal. He said that we were in a shit hole and why would anyone like that?
The mindless twerp! Good thing he didn't say to me what he said to you. My size 14 frame would slap him to the ground in a mere moment!

My pilots are happy because they have good attitudes and they do not expect to be treated like the elite pax we fly. They understand the difference.

I have met pilots who are too mouthy like the one you describe. Perhaps you could recommend to him to take some antidepressants or something.
Old 03-05-2007, 12:10 PM
Banned

Poor Kat -- one of the hardest working, most conscientious, and congenial people I've come to know in this business, and she gets treated like this! Out-freaking-rageous.

I've heard enough stories like this to make me suspect that the tales that are told publicly (and the stories that some of you have told me in confidence) are only the 'tip of the iceberg.' In fact, it looks to me like this kind of harassment of flight attendants is rampant in business aviation.

The problem is not limited to contract work. I've also heard tales that would curl your toes from FAs who are full-time employees of private owners.

Based on what I've heard, I believe that problems with sexual harassment and various kinds of discrimination are not unique to women CFAs. I've heard some tales from men, too, as well as from a few women pilots.

In most cases, since the captain has hiring/firing authority over other crew, they can get away with this stuff. The FA or FO ends up having to either 'put up and shut up' or else look for another job.

This all amounts to 'hostile work environment' and should be inexcusable. No one should have to put up with this.

It continues because there is no mechanism in place for those who have been harassed to report the harassers without putting their own livelihoods at risk. Rat on a captain's nasty behavior toward you and your name is mud. You won't get another contract job with that company. This is what I've been told, but it is so wrong!! :angry:

I can't help thinking that there must be some way to tackle the harassment and discrimination problems in corporate flying. Not only are these things offensive, they are in fact illegal.

I do know that there are a lot of great pilots out there who would never dream of stooping to this kind of behavior, wouldn't tolerate it, and who would -- and do -- stick up for any FA who was treated so poorly. I've heard those stories, too.

(And yes, this is one of the topics I will bring up during my talk at the conference in Greenwich in June - see 'CFAs in the spotlight' thread in the "Stress and Health' section.)
Old 03-05-2007, 01:48 PM

Wow-Did this post strike a nerve. There is much discrimination out there..too this or too that...or not this or not that..mainly it is directed at age and weight, but it also includes makeup, dress and the way we talk, walk and anything else. Rarely does it deal with way the pax feel and our ability to do our jobs well. I am sorry you had to endure this GalleyKat...uncalled for, but nobody really knows the solution because I hear stories like this. You are not the first and won't be the last. It is designed to put you down in some sadistic way that is more than unkind. And it reeks of the days past when aviation was born. It is all so subjective, and even if you don't respect the source, the effects of abuse still sting.
So I would love to hear what others think and what we, as a group, can do about it. Again, I am sorry for the ignorance out there.
Old 03-05-2007, 02:36 PM

Default Bad Pilot

What an absolute shame to have to put up with someone like that while you are doing something you enjoy. I guess some people feel the need to pick on other people just to make themselves feel better. Sounds like he is miserable in and out of work!

Bottom line you are excellent at what you do and the heck with grumpy pilot if you dont conform to what he thinks is "the perfect flight attendant". Obviously he doesnt know much about service and etiquette! And oh, I'm so sure he himself is a stunning 6'6" with a 12 pack and buns of steel!!!!!

Keep smiling and happy!
Falcon FA
Old 03-05-2007, 06:11 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to SkyBunny Send a message via Skype™ to SkyBunny

AMEN, FALCON!