Corporate Flight Attendant Community  

Go Back   Corporate Flight Attendant Community > The Corporate Flight Attendant Community > General Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Site Navigation: Flight Attendant * Forums * About * Articles * Blog * Caterers * Food & Wine * Links * Privacy Policy * Terms * Training * Aircraft Charter

Welcome to the Corporate Flight Attendant Community forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Old 01-05-2007, 03:28 AM

Default Botswana, Namibia, and Cape Town

When on a 4 day layover in Botswana last week, I took 2 days for safari. If you ever get a chance to go on a proper safari, stay at Chitabe camp. It is a 20 minute flight from Maun. Dawson and Andrea were awesome guides and the trip was a spiritual experience. Also, Abu Camp has on-elephant safari rides. In Cape Town, make sure you do a proper tour of their vineyards. Touring and tasting through Paarl, Stellenbosch, and Franschhoek should take about 10 hours. They are producing (finally) some great Bordeaux-style blends, and their flagship varietal "Pinotage" is getting better all the time. Also, the Sauvignon Blanc out of South Africa is delicious. If you have a chance go to the beach try out Camp's Bay. In Namibia I paid a hotel employee to take me to a proper working hut village. It reinforces how lucky we are to have running water and plentiful food. The Namibians were generous and I was awed at the hospitality from these people who have virtually nothing. Also, Try to get to the sand dunes. More on catering in these countries later.....zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Old 01-05-2007, 05:12 PM

Proper safaris are what Botswana is all about. Sounds like a nice trip.
Old 01-05-2007, 05:17 PM

SL, it was an awesome trip, the best part...my company actually picked up the tab for the safari...from the airfare to the accomodation. A real treat that made me feel truely appreciated.
Old 01-06-2007, 08:08 AM

Welcome back, Nilson. Sounds like a great trip. I had a little time in Capetown a few months back, and found the trip to Robbin Islad to be very moving. Our guide was a former prisoner. I know it's the most obvious day trip for a first time tourist, but it is a great way to feel connected to the recent history of the place. Next time the beach and a vineyard tour sound like a good plan, for something emotionally lighter. Hopefullly the next trip will include Botswana.
Good books on Africa: Alexander McCall Smith's series,-Botswana
Alexandra Fuller's "Don't Let's Go to the Dogs Tonight" and "Scribbling the Cat" -the former Rhodesia
M.G. Vassanji's "The In-Between World of Vikram Lall" -Kenya
Barbara Kingsolver's "The Poisonwood Bible" -Congo
Adam Hochschild's "King Leopold's Ghost"-Belgian Congo
Beryl Markham's "West with the Night" -flying and true adventure

Rest well! and Happy 2007
Old 01-06-2007, 10:19 AM

E-Flight, your book selections are awesome!!! One of my fav's of all time is The Poisonwood Bible. On my next trip to Cape Town I will be sure to hit Robbin Island, but breakfast on top Table Mountian is the top of my list. My pilots went to see the tiny penguins, but I was much more interested in the wine tour. Relatives on my mother's side lived in Durban but I adore CapeTown. Just out of curiosity, did you cater from a restaurant? I was a little disappointed with my cater. I am picking up Scribbling the Cat today. Thanks for the recommendations. Fly safe.