Corporate Flight Attendant Community  

Go Back   Corporate Flight Attendant Community > The Corporate Flight Attendant Community > General Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Site Navigation: Flight Attendant * Forums * About * Articles * Blog * Caterers * Food & Wine * Links * Privacy Policy * Terms * Training * Aircraft Charter

Welcome to the Corporate Flight Attendant Community forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Closed Thread

Old 11-30-2005, 08:48 AM

Default Ms. Island

Hello Ms. Island Traveler,

I will send you a note. We have just returned from Asia - presently, we are in NYC - returning home to Santa Monica on Friday. (Yeah! I miss my doggies!)

It would be nice to exchange idea's and to share with you.

Best regards,

Hallie
Old 12-04-2005, 10:44 AM

This works for me. I always ask to speak to the executive chef at the hotel I'm staying. Treat them with ultimate respect as they have a lot more going on in their operation than you do on your plane. Yes, I'm a certified Sous Chef with many years experience in all types of food situations and that helps me a great deal but a little honey goes a long way. Sometimes, especially overseas, I give the chef a bottle of Jack Daniels. This worked for me even in France where cooperation sometimes is lacking. This can open many doors for you. Is it ethical? Who cares! it works for me and I always gain complete use of kitchen area to prepare my meals. I'm very clean and sanitary while I'm there and I also wear a set of kitchen whites so I can relate to the other chefs. Don't ask to use a chef's knives either because that is an insult to a chef; bring your own. Leave the equipment that you use in their kitchen completely clean and sanitized. And lastly, most european chefs are a lot more strict and rigid than american chefs by far. Talking outloud and joking around are usually not allowed in these kitchens so be aware!
Follow-up with a nice card or a chat with the general mgr. of the hotel complimenting the executive chef and their kitchen staff. Lastly, always when speaking to the chef call them chef, not their personal name. That also is disrespectful especially if you did that in front of their kitchen crew.
Hope some of this helps...
Old 12-05-2005, 05:21 AM

Default Getting into the kitchen!

Hallie H97:
I'm looking forward to your note. And would love to exchange ideas with you!

FloridaSun:
I'm not a Sous Chef nor do I have any food prep certification; therefore, I'm not sure anyone would let me near their kitchen. I managed several restaurants 20 years ago and I'm not sure I would allow a non-employee into the kitchen for several reasons. However, I thank you for your great ideas and will try to get into a kitchen using your suggested techniques, bottle of Jack Daniels or something similar. :mozilla_cool:

Best regards, Islandtraveler
Old 12-05-2005, 02:01 PM
Banned

Hi Hallie

I think your ideas are inovative and a breath of fresh air. If you wouldn't mind giving me a few hints too I would appreciate them bunches!

Thanks!
Old 12-06-2005, 08:35 PM

Send a message via AIM to DSlapo
Default Catering Rant

My fellow Brothers and Sisters,

Some of you may know I am a BIG Fan of cooking fresh food on the plane compared to relying on a catering company. The reason for this is because I was tough at the beginning of my aviation career how to shop, store, and prepare EVERYTHING on the plane. My first 4 years I did not have the ability to use any cater due to security reasons.

But I am NOT a fan of cooking at home and bring food on the plane. Many flight attendants do no understand the liability she/he is taking. The biggest thing is we are not insured to cover if the food goes bad and makes everyone sick or even death. Also, do you have the proper way to transport your food within the required temperature zone that is stated in the national food safety regulations?

SEE THESE LINKS http://www.fsis.usda.gov/oa/pubs/cfg/7steps_2.pdf and http://www.fsis.usda.gov/oa/pubs/cfg/7steps.htm

Plus, how many of you are getting paid to do work from home before you actually required reporting to work. I know if you are a full time person you may be in a different situation but I know as a contact flight attendant WE (I) do not get paid until WE (I) show up to work. I understand there is mission prep but does that include cooking? Not in my opinion!

Now that I have had my rant about cooking off the plane let me bring this conversation back on track. My initial statement was to encourage my fellow co-workers to take a moment to voice your concerns out load about our corporate catering companies. I have run into a company that is growing leaps and bounds and they seem to not be looking at the QUALITY but are looking at the bottom line “MONEY”!

It is time that we speak up and out to let them know how their service is and what they need to do to fix it. Also I am hoping others would SPEEK OUT about some of their problems with the catering companies so we can let these caters know that we will not put up with the service they are providing.

There is BILLIONS of dollars out there to be had. They need to know that just because the clients who use them have basically an unlimited budget; it does not mean we can be taken to the cleaners! LET your voice be heard.
407-257-0857 Cell
Old 12-07-2005, 08:59 AM

Default catering rant

Dslpapo's statements are true. Kind of like; don't try this at home and leave it to professionals. anything related to food prep and transport have to be done with the utmost care. Plus, you really have to enjoy it!
My situation, like everyone else's, is different. I only fly for one entity and was hired for my culinary. Have all the necessary transport equipment inlcuding a part of my home that was extended to accomplish this. This is probably not the usual FA position that is offered all the time and I fly only 150-200 hrs. per year. Plus, I grocery shop and provide private personal chef service one day per week to my owners estates. They treat me very well and couldn't be happier.

I wouldn't beat up on the caterers too much. Be direct, specific, and professional. Order the catering early and have plan B always. I've returned catering and let them know that I have in the past if it's not to my specs. With today's great supermarket deli's I believe you can find better quality choices than some of the airport caterers. Just don't use them and get the word out about what happened and that will be hitting them in the pocket book forcing changes.

Like I said; everybodies situation is different!

Try this: Thin prosciutto wrapped around halved figs with the flesh of the fig exposed. Sprinkle cracked pepper and serve with warmed baguette and a dollop of mascarpone. Chow.
Old 12-10-2005, 05:18 PM

Default DOWNLOAD: In-flight Catering Order Form

I posted a link in the Inflight Services forum. Don't want to be redundant so here is a link to the thread:

http://corporateflyer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=876

Enjoy!
Jetster
Old 12-10-2005, 07:07 PM
Banned

Default catering rant

adding to the catering rant.

please caterers, dont disrespect us.

Its newark, its been snowing all morning, the FBO is way understaffed. Your passengers are early.We are all familiar with this picture. RIGHT!!

When you finally get your catering on board you are missing a very important entree, so you call your caterer hoping for some help, or maybe some professionalism.

I received this response

"the chef said to check everything again, cause he knows he cooked it, and its in there"

I'm sorry WHAT.

DO YOU HONESTLY THINK I WOULD BE WASTING VALUABLE TIME ON THE PHONE IF THE SALMON WAS IN MY ORDER. WE HAVE A MILLION THINGS TO DO PREFLIGHT, DONT TREAT ME LIKE AN IDIOT, THE SALMON IS NOT THERE. LETS WORK ON GETTING ME SOME. PLEASE.

There has to be a better way, these companies with 1800 numbers that are opening places all over the world...might want to work on customer service.

hey if anyone wants to pm me a catering company they like out of newark, i would love that.

THANKS FOR LETTING ME RANT.

skyblue
Closed Thread