Corporate Flight Attendant Community  

Go Back   Corporate Flight Attendant Community > The Corporate Flight Attendant Community > General Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Site Navigation: Flight Attendant * Forums * About * Articles * Blog * Caterers * Food & Wine * Links * Privacy Policy * Terms * Training * Aircraft Charter

Welcome to the Corporate Flight Attendant Community forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Old 08-04-2006, 10:06 AM

Default Dreary Layovers!

I just read something about Gary, IN and that got me thinking. What are your least favorite places for a layover? I have found that Tokyo is too expensive and most of the old U.S. cities are too depressing. Last year we were in Buffalo, not on purpose, but because the plane broke and we had to land there. Two nights in that town in the wintertime are two nights too many IMO. The hockey fans there are deranged as all they did was hang out in the hotel bar and catcall every chick who walked by. No class!

I used to love New Orleans but I can't bear to go back. The producer wants to fly in there next week and all I can think of is dead bodies floating by and people screaming for help. I don't care that the French Quarter is okay as I think the city's soul was lost during Katrina.

We're going to Croatia this fall and everyone says that Split is a lot of fun. After that we're heading up to St. Petersburg and then over to Moscow. My first visit to Russia! I hope to have enough time in St. Pete to get to The Hermitage and I know we'll see Kremlin Square while in Moscow.

Ciao!
Old 08-04-2006, 11:17 AM

Default Give me the beach any day

I am not a huge fan of London for a layover, mostly because I have spent too much time there, I hate the weather and I think it is tiresome and expensive. Oddly enough, I am pursuing a position based out of there, but that would be a different story since I would be traveling a lot and actually laying over somewhere else. It would not be so bad living there with the right job and salary.

I hate Nigeria and also most of Western Africa, although I have heard that The Gambia is a tropical paradise and is quickly headed towards becomming a new hot spot.

Tokyo expensive? Only if you are a shopper. You can get great dinners and drunk off your goard for less than you'd spend in Buffalo. You just need to know when happy hour is and where to go. Trust me - I've spent SO much time there I only find it tolerable in an altered state.

GG
Old 08-04-2006, 12:14 PM

Default Mobile

I wouldn't call most delta cities dreary but they certainly are sweaty for months on end. I remember flying to Mobile, AL a few years ago and getting off the plane and walking across the infield. I saw the FBO guy holding a device that looked like a thermometer and I was right. He said "Welcome to Mobile where it is 138 Degrees on the runway!" I was drenched by the time I got inside.

I don't like London much either. Manchester England is the pits though.
Old 08-04-2006, 01:16 PM

BFFA,

you wrote:
<<<I used to love New Orleans but I can't bear to go back. The producer wants to fly in there next week and all I can think of is dead bodies floating by and people screaming for help. I don't care that the French Quarter is okay as I think the city's soul was lost during Katrina. >>>

oh.... it is sad, but you should really go back! The people there are optimistic and love their city. They are truly happy to have visitors! It is mind blowing to see the damage once you leave the French Quarter. And, some of my favorite FQ hotels were damaged, but they are repairing the damage and still giving you the same over the top service that they had before the hurricane. Let me know if you get back to the Big Easy. I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Oh... Cafe du Monde is up and running!! (YUMMY)
Old 08-04-2006, 02:09 PM

Default I love to travel

I haven't been back to New Orleans since the storm and I have mixed feelings too about the city. I am sure the people are hopeful but the city isn't the same. Let's pray that New Orleans returns to its former glory soon.

I like any place that isn't home. I love to travel and I have found value in places others don't care about. Give me arts museums, cafes, and bookstores and I'll be happy wherever I go!
Old 08-04-2006, 02:16 PM

To BFFA-
You make my day..your humor is appreciated...thank you. I spent a time warp week in Buffalo every year when my son played hockey ..we ate a lot of donuts( a shop every block!!!) Haha....you are a hoot... =D>
Old 08-05-2006, 11:26 AM

Send a message via AIM to flyingjen

Dreary layover??? Is there such a thing? Anytime I don't have to meal plan, do laundry, clean or grocery shop is a holiday for me!!!

Woo Hoo to the BEST job in the world!! \/
Old 08-05-2006, 12:19 PM

Default Making the best of it all

Quote:
Anytime I don't have to meal plan, do laundry, clean or grocery shop is a holiday for me!!!
I agree!! A few years ago we were snowed in Burlington, VT & I had the best day in ages. The pilots hit the slopes & I stayed in my room & got thru an entire trashy novel while sipping mulled wine. I got paid for the day & I got to do what I wanted to do without anyone pestering me.

It's all about what you decide to do with your time. Right?